Friday, December 14, 2007

Book of the Week

I know what you are all thinking... where the heck are the Vegas pics... and my answer to you is that they are coming.. I forgot to bring the camera to work so I could upload and post the pics.. I'll try for the weekend, I promise. But, in the meantime let's all chat about some good books - shall we?

So for this week I think I will go with "A Year in Provence" written by Peter Mayle. I picked it simply because I am remembering the Christmas I spent in France and the laughs that this book brought me while I was there, and even living in Provence to boot! Almost everything that happened to Peter Mayle happened to me - with the exception of purchasing a house / car cause I was a poor student.. but that is besides the point. It was hilarious both when it actually happened and when I read about it in his book. The French have a certain - je ne sais quoi - about them and their way of life that causes mass confusion for the English speaking people who live in their fine country. But to be quite honest, this is a funny funny book, and I have and will continue to recommend it to anyone who loves to read about travel.


PS - When you get to the part about the market and lurid Johnny Halliday T-Shirt.. call me, or read these two posts and I shall explain why that is the funniest thing that I have ever read... oh Johnny, I really do miss you and your crazy silver suits...
From the Publisher: In this witty and warm-hearted account, Peter Mayle tells what it is like to realize a long-cherished dream and actually move into a 200-year-old stone farmhouse in the remote country of the Lubéron with his wife and two large dogs. He endures January''s frosty mistral as it comes howling down the Rhône Valley, discovers the secrets of goat racing through the middle of town, and delights in the glorious regional cuisine. A Year in Provence transports us into all the earthy pleasures of Provençal life and lets us live vicariously at a tempo governed by seasons, not by days.


Au revoir!

No comments: